Please note that the deadline for applications has now passed.
The VAULT Young Company is a brand new initiative from VAULT Creative Arts which aims to create a year round ensemble of theatre artists of the future. Each year we’ll bring together young theatre makers to create vibrant work inspired by big ideas. Over the year-long programme, VAULT Young Company aims to nurture individual voices within the company, and provide a platform for experimentation and innovation in performance. Each year, the VAULT Young Company will work with industry professionals to create a production for VAULT Festival.
The VAULT Young Company is designed for 18-25 year olds who have not been through professional training and who are interested in creating their own work. Once involved in the company, VAULT Creative Arts aims to continue to nurture an individual’s creative talent and ambition through the VAULT Alumni network initiatives.
The VAULT Young Company programme will consist of 3 terms (Summer, Autumn & Winter) of weekly 3 hour sessions (30 sessions in total) ahead of VAULT Festival 2023. During these sessions, company members will be mentored and supported to devise a full length production. The company will perform this production in February at VAULT Festival 2023.
Weekly course sessions will include:
• Mentorship and support
• Group trips to see and discuss professionally produced theatre
• Guest mentors (3 or 4 over the 3 terms) offering participants insights into different performing and devising methods
• Organised opportunities for socialising
• An opportunity to devise and perform a completely new production
The VAULT Young Company programme will cost £300 for successful applicants (£100 per term, due one week before each term start date.) Three bursary places are available, which will reduce the cost to £100.
VAULT Creative Arts, producers of VAULT Festival, have previously offered support for new directors, writers and critics. This is the first programme that the VAULT Creative Arts team are offering specifically for new and young performers and theatre makers. VAULT Creative Arts will be represented by Head of Programming Bec Martin, and Programming Coordinator Adèle Reeves.
To apply to the VAULT Young Company, applicants need to complete a short application form and attach supporting material in the form of either:
• Two short contemporary monologues (maximum of 2 minutes each). These do not have to be high quality (recorded on a phone is absolutely fine!), just clear and audible. You can send these via Dropbox, Wetransfer, or upload as a private Youtube or Google Drive file.
• One monologue, AND one alternative – a 1-2 minute video of any other performative skill. This can be dance, movement, music, physical theatre, someone performing a piece you’ve written, or anything else that shows a performance style you’re interested in.